Thursday, November 19, 2009

HW 24 - Short Story 1

Oh, look another new profile pic. What is it this time? I thought to myself. Trying hard to refrain from clicking on it, I did it anyway. As I nervously waited for the picture to load, I knew what to expect. Quickly, I ran my mouse over the X button and closed the browser. No, I was not going to let myself look at another one of her flawless pictures again. I wasn't going to spend another hour beating myself up about my own non existent beauty or about the lack of attention I get on my own page.

Walking into class the next day, I quickly caught sight of her. It was pretty hard to miss. She was sitting on a table, her feet perched on a chair. A bunch of her friends were spread out around her, talking over each other, cracking jokes. I could pick out her laugh from among the chaos of the others. It had a charming ring to it. It was contagious. As I made my way over, she caught my eye. "Hey Amb!" she called. I couldn't help but crack a smile. "Hey Nat," I replied.

"Um," I said as I pointed to my seat. "Oh, sorry" she said as she quickly moves her feet off my chair. I sat down, feeling misplaced in the crowd of her friends. "What's up?" she asked me. "Uh not much" I answered to her hypnotizing smile.

As the teacher called the class to attention everyone quickly scrambled to their seats. Nat once again didn't do her homework. She probably had another wild night. I could see the awkward look on the teacher's face. I knew he was disappointed but he moved on to the next table without a word.

However during discussion, she shelled out enough enlightening comments to revitalize the smile on the teacher's face. I watched her doodle in her notebook, drawing things I didn't recognize, nonchalantly throwing her hand in the air whenever she had a thought to share. When she got picked, she paused for a second to finish her doodle and then started to speak. The class was silent and listened intently. Then she was done.

"Cool," said the teacher.

5 comments:

  1. Carrie- Your cool girl seems to be well liked in the class. She has a charismatic personality and when she speaks everyone listens because she has something smart to say and even the teacher thinks that shes cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mirrored our society in your story; people are pressured to look cool and try to model others' thoughts on cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your story was very "cool" and the girl doodling seems to be one of the nonchalant manner that other "cool" people do.
    The last sentence was a good ending. =D
    -Jia Min

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,
    I really like your story. It flowed nicely, and what your definition of cool was shown in this story. Your character captivates her audience by just being herself. I also agree with Jia Min, your last sentence was a great ending and my favorite line in your story.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie- I like your story, it made me think. I’m not sure who is cool; the narrator seems to be hateful towards the popular girl yet the popular girl seems to find something interesting in the other girl. If I’m correct and the cool person is the popular girl hanging out with the ordinary girl than I think your story is one of the nicer ones. I forgot how cool that actually is when a popular person sees no boundaries and wants to be friends with everyone. I really enjoyed reading it and I think it represents SOF as well.

    ReplyDelete