Friday, November 13, 2009

HW 21: Art Project




"Art is not a Mirror with which to reflect the World. It is a Hammer with which to shape it." My picture is definitely a mirror. It reflects the way a T.V. (or any other DRD) can distract the average person. It shows the situation we are in but I don't think it's strong enough to provoke change. I think it'll take a lot for a single picture to get into someone's head and alter the way they think and the decisions they make. I guess it'll be enough if someone looks at my picture and at least understand the message I'm trying to make, and use it as a prompt to think about it at newer levels so they can change their own habits. It's one thing to change a person's perspective and another to have them actually do something about it and I think a hammer needs to do both. Right now, my art is probably just a mirror to most.

My art does make me "fink and theel." Our computers and T.V.s are so accessible that we end up being glued to them just because we can. It makes me sad sometimes when I see myself spending all my time on my computer and I know I could be using this free time to do other stuff, more productive stuff. I know I'll probably read more and interact more with my family.
We can also use the time it takes away from us to acknowledge the events that are happening around us and to change the things we are dissatisfied with. We're ignoring all the problems (small and large) that are going on around us and seek relief and escape by emerging ourselves into these screens. With this constant option at hand, who wouldn't turn to it? I would. And that's the sad part. I acknowledge what I'm doing but I don't think I see it importantly enough yet to give up my habit.

I think the most interesting aspect of making my art is the coloring. I tried to draw it in the girl's perspective. So I shaded everything around her in black and gray except the T.V. because for her, at that moment nothing else matters but what's going on in the screen. Even if surrounded with tons of depressing things, she still manages to find color in her life through the T.V. Her main source of entertainment is in the screen. She doesn't even care about her toys. T.V. is breeding a generation of ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment