Saturday, May 8, 2010

HW 53: Survey Analysis

Part 2:

While I was taking the survey, I had to stop to think about a lot of the questions.  It was hard to categorize a lot of the questions.  For example, the family questions really stumped me.  I've never really admitted certain things about my family life, so once I answered some questions, it really hit me hard.  It made me want to do something about it. to change it so that next time I come across questions like that, my answers would be different.  I was really curious about the family questions because we all see each others with friends already.  We pretty much have a good idea of who each other is while interacting with friends.  We haven't seen everyone with their families though and I know a lot of us act differently.  And it's just interesting to see if our relationships with our families are just as good as the ones we make in school or outside of our homes.

Part 3:

I was surprised to see how positive the results came out to be.  For example, most people say they feel happy by themselves.  If they aren't lying and that's true, then it's good to hear that many of us aren't dependent on people and things for assurance.  A lot of people say their lives are meaningful as well.  If only the survey can ask how because I'm sure we all find meanings from different things.  Although the survey points out that a lot of us have insecurities (that's natural), most of us are happy with how our lives are so far.  My results are similar and different in some ways.  I feel like a lot of my family questions were answered a little more differently from the average results.  But a lot of my friendship and self answers were the same.  This is probably because I develop more positive connections with myself and friends than with my parents.

Part 4:

It's hard to compare the two, when the survey questions are different.  But judging from the professional survey, the amount of drug use, the attempts at suicide, and the eating disorders, it seems that a lot more teens in that survey are less happy with themselves than the ones at SOF.  However, there was also a high percentage of teens in the professional survey that seems to know what they are doing and are responsible.  But I feel like most of the students in our school are responsible and confident.  That's why in the informal survey, we see more positive results as opposed to that of the professional survey where 14.5% of the population has contemplated suicide.  My interpretations of the kids at SOF are biased however.  I'm judging it based on the results from the informal survey and on what I see everyday at school.  So I don't really know how many have thought about suicide before.  But from the looks of both surveys, it seems that SOFers are a lot more mature than the teens of the YRBSS survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment