Monday, September 21, 2009

HW 5: Response to Comments - GHIJK

Jenise,

I appreciate the different examples that you gave that supported my perspective on the subject. When you talked about how leaving your iPod at home will completely change your mood for the day, I can totally relate and it made me feel like you really made an effort to understand. Your question referencing the possibility about the president sending his messages out to the public via text or cellphones made me think. It brought up new questions in my mind. Would it be as effective if our presidential speeches were sent through emotionless texts? Will we still be able to sense the passion in his tone? Will we be as motivated and be as filled with hope as we do with every other presidential speech? I don't think so. Speeches wouldn't be speeches if you didn't hear them come straight out of the speakers mouth. You need to feel the words, not read the words and have to interpret their meaning yourself.

It seems like you're more interested in what will happen if we decided to leave technology out of lives and I'm more into analyzing what will become of society if we DO stay attached to these items. So we're basically looking at the two different options for our future. I wonder if there is a mid point between the two extremes and what that mid point would be. We both though obviously feel like we've developed an attachment to the digital world and that we've become part of what it is. Do you think that this could wear off over time or is it something that will take up more and more of our lives?

Vincent,

I'm glad that you agreed with most of my views. And the quoting showed that you really took your time to read through my post and picked out the points you agreed with. I know you're used to giving criticism and opposing arguments so it was nice of you to support my post and give constructive criticism. I realized what you said about my post being not specific enough was true. I need to go into more detail about certain aspects of the digital world. It makes me think of how the different devices that I use affect me separately. My phone provides me with efficiency and the ability to connect with others at the touch of a button. My computer lets me find virtually everything that I want online. The T.V. is just plain addicting. Watching a show or a drama lets you leave your own sense of reality and enter someone else's world just for an hour or two. My iPod is where I carry all my music. If I'm feeling in the mood for song, I whip it out. It's instant gratification.

I don't see much difference or disagreement between my post and your comment other than you suggesting more specifics into the subject, while I analyzed the more general idea. We both seem to believe that digitalization has a negative effect in the up and coming generation by relieving them of hard work and replacing it with devices that offer snap-of-a-finger results.

No comments:

Post a Comment