Saturday, September 12, 2009

HW 3: Convenience versus Isolation through Digital Media

The immense digitalization in our world today is obvious. Society has since adapted or should I say have become addicted to the convenience and accessibility of information put forth by the internet. It has become a whole new culture of learning. The way it broadens our spectrum of the world today in terms of being able to connect with societies of other cultures or having our doors opened to an influx of new ideas, makes it safe to say that any person probably wouldn't have gotten the same experience 20 or more years ago before the digital craze.

However, the new wave of technology has caused many to rely on computers for most of their needs. We are so immersed in this form of operation that we don't feel the need to find other ways to go about our lives. For example, the way we socialize is no longer limited to face-to-face interactions or talking over the phone. Our options have been reassessed to include applications such as Twitter, IM, emails, Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, virtual games and so on. This type of socializing through a screen is odd in a way because you're not really having an actual face-to-face conversation with the other person. I wouldn't consider it a real socializing though. Body and facial language and even the tone of voice should all be present during a conversation. Otherwise, the message cannot be conveyed properly or to its full extent. Technology takes away from the more personal aspects of daily interactions. It's important that we keep communication a face-to-face affair even with the options of texting and IMing because the more we use them, the more habitual it becomes and as a result we find ourselves isolated from the rest of the world. The web should be used to post and to access information that is hard to reach instead of being constantly used as a communication device used between people who could easily go out and walk a couple of blocks to see each other.

I have to admit though that I too have been sucked in and swallowed by the digital world. I constantly find myself hooked onto my computer when I'm at home and married to my phone when I'm out. I sleep with my phone near my ears in case a new text comes through and I wake up in the morning finding myself unconsciously walking over to turn my computer on. Last Friday morning as I was walking to school, I realized I forgot my phone and even though I knew I was going to be late, I turned around and walked back home to get it. It's pathetic if you really think about it. I can't even go a day without my phone. Or maybe I can, but I just rather not. I feel so naked, like I can't function without it or something. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem though. But is it really all of ours to blame? Our generation is being constantly criticized by our obsession with electronics and our lackadaisical nature to explore the real world around us without such tools. But we've been raised with these new devices and it has since become part of our daily lifestyle. It's what we consider normal. It's as second nature as putting on our clothes and tying our shoes. Unlike those who had experienced life without the internet, we don't view it as a spectacular invention. It has been implanted in our brains that all this technology is beneficial and the only way to move forward is to continue using it.

It's scary to think about what technology will become of in the future. Will it come to a point where we stop learning how to live without such materials and let technology rule our lives? Or will we learn how to balance our usage of it so that we don't let go of what the real world has to offer? How do we even know what is the balance of too much exposure to the digital/electronic media versus not enough? Is it even necessary?

I don't think we NEED it but it does make our world run A LOT easier and faster. Efficiency and convenience is what rules civilization today. So I guess we won't be giving up our allegiance to online social networking anytime soon.

6 comments:

  1. Hey carrie, I really like your blog. I agree with you about how we socialize. Not just face to face but though a screen. Though I do like the aspect of being able to talk with people that I could other wise not talk to. But I do feel that it loses some sense of a real conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    I greatly enjoyed reading your blog, in fact I think your title showing a distinction between convenience and isolation is a very interesting way to see the tech. world in which we live.

    One question that I thought about while reading is the possibility that a person with social anxiety disorder might greatly benifit from the tech. that we have at our fingertips.I am curiuos as to what your thoughts might be on that? Does technology create isolation for all, or is it a helpful outlet for many who fear face to face contact?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything that you have stated in your post. Your ideas are very much clear, organized and well thought out. When you mentioned how you went back to get your cell phone, regardless of being late to school already, it does demonstrate the addiction we have with the digital world, Our generation has been growing up with all this technology around so therefore that is the reason we are attached to it the way we are and I agree with you with that aspect. We should be able to balance our “real world” with our “digital world” So we do not lose the essence of communication. When you stated how when texting or calling doesn’t have the same feeling as if a face-to-face conversation, it made me think of a lot. What i thought about was, If Barrack Obama said his speeches through a phone or through a text on the news where the viewers read it, do you think it would be a big difference in the way we see him? The situation? Or to our society in general? I think you should expand where you talk about how we have been growing up with the digital world around us and how it’s making us lack physical communication. Everything you said was great and couldn’t be said better. When you mention leaving your phone home and going back to get it regardless knowing you will be late made me think about the time’s when I left my Ipod home. My entire attitude will change and my day always goes bad. It does seem crazy but it’s the digital world is our life now. Now what I’m trying to do and I think many people should try it is don’t text or use any technology and see how our day goes. I Remember when Cindy said she just got her computer back and how she was kind of use to not having it for a while so I’m pretty sure if we chill out with using what we use a lot. We will not be so addictive to it. I enjoyed reading your post and can’t wait to see what other idea’s you discover, notice or wonder about! See you in school tomorrow. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carrie, i see you wrote a lot on this like you commented on me. I agree with you that technology is the future and most humans cant live without any form of digitization today. the idea of doing more work is not right for humans (like you said.) i think you might need to rethink the second nature thing since technology has spoiled out minds so much it has become a first nature. people can go 1 hour without seeing some form of technology to amuse themselves. people today will check their phones every hour or so or start a new conversation. when one form of digitization has run dry after a short period of time we will mostly jump to another form. You say "It's important that we keep communication a face-to-face affair even with the options of texting and IMing because the more we use them, the more habitual it becomes and as a result we find ourselves isolated from the rest of the world." and that is very true since humans are too lazy to move anywhere that they will just move their hands and fingers to communicate. you say "Our generation is being constantly criticized by our obsession with electronics and our lackadaisical nature to explore the real world around us without such tools." and yes that's very true but i don't think adults should be blaming us for this since they themselves has become sucked into the digital world. I think you should maybe expand on your thoughts since you leave them haft finished,since you only talk about each type of digital technology a little. you could explain more about social networks and connect thing together of why they were started, and explain more of what you think. This is a very good base to think about the digital work i hope to hear more about it.
    ~Vince

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you just comment on your own blog? O_o

    Anyways...

    I like your sense of humor: "married to your phone".

    Digitalization is a positive apsect of our lives in a way that we are able to connect to more people through the internet or phone. On the other hand, it can ruin our conversations because it takes the tone out of the conversations.

    I totally agree with you on that; I would be on AIM and when someone would type "lol", I would be wondering "are they really laughing out loud?"

    You say that we "do not NEED [digital devices] but it does make our world more efficient". Now I was wondering if you think it is right to allow digital devices to isolate us from the world because it is efficient, or we should do something about it?

    When you said that you unconciously walk over to your computer to turn it on every morning, you reminded me of when I would turn my computer on the first thing in the morning. i feel that I was concious of it but the MMORPG are just so addicting.

    Your post was awesome, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that was Kate's comment. She commented through my account for some reason.

    ReplyDelete