Saturday, September 26, 2009

HW 6: Video Project

Untitled from Carrie Li on Vimeo.

I sort of started doing my homework at the beginning of the video, but I completely forgot about it as you can tell. You can kind of hear me picking up and dropping my pencil but after that I was too focused on IMing so I didn't get to finish it. Also when I was watching TV I totally forgot that I was recording because I got too distracted by my show. I found it kind of funny how I looked when I was watching TV. I was adjusting my shirt strap and I froze with my hand in that position for a long time before I let it down. It's silly looking in a way because all the viewer sees is me making faces at something that isn't visible in the frame.


I wouldn't mind if my child spent a lot of time doing this. I can understand why people are so hooked on it. But if it's up to the point where he stops having a social life or it takes away from the things he need to do such as schoolwork, housework, or spending time with the family then I would say the time spent with his digital devices needs to be cut shorter.


I feel like the interaction is a one way thing. The TV shows me something and I give a reaction back. It's not a two way interaction where I'm able to give something back to the T.V.


Ideas such as the Wii where the digital representational device is squeezing a more physical interaction out of you isn't that much better than things such as your computer or TV. You might not be sitting on your butt all day long anymore but you're still interacting with a machine. It's still taking away from the natural interactions in life such as having a conversation with a friend or enjoying the great outdoors. Let's face it. Making "music" with a plastic guitar and kicking an imaginary soccer ball is not the real deal. And digitalization is in every way taking away the real parts of our daily experiences snippet by snippet and bringing them under our roofs where we can do everything in the comforts of our own houses.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,

    You seemed so engaged in your video. THe digital world had you captured up. Haha. i find it not suprising at all that you forgot it was recorded. It's like for one minutes your like ok your recording and you just want this homework to endbut then you get an IM or you start reading something that destracts you so quickly. should we be scared of that? should we worry about that?

    I guess we can say that DRD disforms our body too. We forget all about it and we start doing weird positions that we would never do if we weren't emerged.

    What i really thought was interesting and something i totally agree with is when you said: "I wouldn't mind if my child spent a lot of time doing this. I can understand why people are so hooked on it. But if it's up to the point where he stops having a social life or it takes away from the things he need to do such as schoolwork, housework, or spending time with the family then I would say the time spent with his digital devices needs to be cut shorter." THat is the same way i feel. I would let them use it to an exstent. If it starts to isolate them from the real world, it really is a problem. How can we really draw the line? how do we know the signs?

    I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on your video and looking at your video. I hope we can do more projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie, pretty good video, it really shows how humans are over a period of time while doing digitization. i like how you skip from one to another, but i never know when you are really doing, since the sound is unreliable.

    you video show how digitization has adapted into our human nature and how we as humans cant really live with out it. we do our daily activities while doing these digital representations.

    i think you should have showed the screen a little, even though it kind of shows the digital perspective. we as humans cant escape from these digital stuff, even though people made the wii so they wont be sitting there all the time but we are still looking through the screen.

    the stuff that we do today, takes away our sense of time, like how you forget your still recording since you are really into your show.

    this is really really insightful post and video and we can learn a lot from watching ourselves stray away from this world. i cant wait till your next post.

    ReplyDelete